The Pet Enthusiast
Spread The Love

Are Tree Frogs Poisonous

* If you click a link on this page and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn more.

Tree frogs are common frogs that can be found throughout the United States, part of Canada, and Mexico. Maybe your pet has just come home with a tree frog as a gift for you or you are worried about your child that recently touched a tree frog, wondering if these small amphibians are poisonous and how they can affect you, your family, and your family pets. Continue reading for more information on these frogs.

Are Tree Frogs Poisonous?

Is a tree frog poisonous? In fact, all tree frogs are considered poisonous. However, they only cause irritation or infection as they are carriers of salmonella bacteria. Salmonella has a reputation for causing fever, stomach pain, and diarrhea. Salmonella can be dangerous to children under the age of five, along with any individuals who have weak immune systems. Some frogs and reptiles have skin secretions that cause salmonella infection, the skin secretions taste terrible and can result in excessive salivating in pets.

Are Tree Frogs Venomous?

Venomous? No. Tree frogs are not venomous, but they will secrete a substance over their skin, which they use to protect themselves against prey, including your dogs and cats. The secretion is very powerful and common, especially with green tree frogs.

This toxin can produce diarrhea and vomiting with signs resolving with an hour or so. The toxin will not harm you or your pet. You may need to visit the doctor or vet if the symptoms continue longer than an hour. The aim of the secretion is to preserve the frog, reducing the risk of them being eaten.

Safety Precautions

All tree frogs are considered poisonous. However, it only causes irritation. Remember to wash your hand after handling.

Humans

  • Wash your hands with soap and water straight away
  • Do not touch your eyes before you wash your hands to reduce the risk of getting secretion in your eyes.
  • Do not touch food until your hands have been thoroughly washed to reduce the risk of illness.
  • Young children must be warned not to touch frogs they find in the garden.
  • If you must touch a tree frog, use gloves to protect yourself and the frog.

Pets

  • Rinse the pet’s mouth with fresh water.
  • Wipe gums to eradicate poison
  • If your pet starts vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and lack of appetite, then seek veterinary help.
  • Bell on pet’s color can warm frogs of your pet’s movements, helping them hide with time to spare.

Ensure you know the difference between frogs and toads, as toads can be exceptionally dangerous for your pet.

What You Need to Know

Identifying Poisonous Frogs

Tree frogs are considered poisonous, not venomous. They have a skin secretion which only cause irritation. This means you or your pet doesn't have to be bitten by the tree frog in order to be exposed to its secretion, just touching it, picking it up, licking it or biting it can result in an exposure. Some frogs such as the poison dart frog, the secretion can result in death.

Poisonous frogs tend to be brightened than the non-poisonous species. Colors can range from bright blues to yellows.

How Do Tree Frogs Protect Themselves?

Tree frogs have special glands that produce a poisonous toxin that protects them from predators. These are very small frogs and this self-defense solution helps to reduce the risk of being bitten or eaten. The glands make enough secretion to cover the entire body, sometimes giving off an unwelcome odor, causing predators to think twice before catching or biting them.

Conclusion

Tree frogs are nothing to worry about. The old wives tale you can get warts from frogs is a lie, as is you will die if you touch once. It's important to have some knowledge of the signs and symptoms associated with touching or accidentally ingesting the secretion from these frogs to ensure the best outcome.

Leave a Comment: