The Exo Terra rainforest habitat kit is perfect for any beginner herpetoculturist. This kit comes with everything you need to start your rainforest reptile selection with confidence. The kit comes complete with glass terrarium, which has been carefully designed by European herpetologists complete with front opening doors, ventilated screen top, company canopy with easy to install lighting system, and more.
The habitat comes in two sizes: small and medium. They are suitable for small species of snakes, frogs, lizards and geckos such as crested gecko, green/brown anole, day gecko, tree frog. See more species here.
- Complete kit combined into one box
- Easy assembly
- Rock background offers eye-catching finish to your enclosure design
- Secure front doors and lid
- Plants and vines included
- Easy to prepare substrate
- Digital thermometers and hygrometers are easier to read and understand over the analogue versions provided in the kit
- Screen top can rust in the high humidity of the rainforest
- Lighting bulb not included
Design & Features
The Rainforest enclosure is an enclosure for your rainforest lizards, geckos, frogs, and snakes providing a natural habitat that is humid and warm with lots of hanging jungle plants to ensure your pet feels at home.
Exo Terra Natural Terrarium
Small kit – 12” x 12” x 18”
Medium kit – 18” x 18” x 24”
This glass terrarium provides the convenience of escape free dual front doors with a waterproof base and raised bottom frame. The kit has lockable doors to prevent escape and has closable inlets ensure that wires and tubing remain out of sight. This terrarium is perfect for amphibians and reptiles, designed by European herpetologists. The front opening doors can be opened separately, reducing the risk of escape, while making it easy when it comes to cleaning and maintenance.
Exo Terra Screen Cover
The Exo Terra screen cover that is included in the Exo Terra rainforest habitat kit is easy to install. The cover is made from durable metal. It is a sliding door to provide easy access with no screws required while offering maximum infrared and ultraviolet penetration. The sliding screen cover is lockable and can open partially or be removed completely. The mesh design allows excellent ventilation while ensuring your reptile and feeding insects remain inside the enclosure. The screen cover is easy to install by simply attaching it to the top rim of the tank using the Velcro strip provided.
Exo Terra Compact Top Canopy
The Exo Terra compact top canopy is a compact terrarium canopy designed to be used with the glass terrarium. An easy to install fluorescent canopy which can accommodate low wattage incandescent bulb or compact fluorescent bulbs. The canopy offers a built-in reflector, sliding rim for easy accessory additions, and the benefit of easy installation.
A hygrometer is an essential part of your rainforest set up. If you are setting up a rainforest habitat then your new pet enjoys a humid environment. Most reptiles will have set humidity requirements which ensures their overall health. The hygrometer is used to ensure you maintain the right humidity levels. This hygrometer is easy to read and install. Digital versions have proven to be even easier to read and more accurate.
Exo Terra analog thermometer helps you monitor the temperature in your enclosure to ensure you are meeting the requirements of your pet. This is easy to install and read thermometer, suited for all enclosures. Again, a digital version or a thermometer gun is recommended to ensure accuracy and ease of use.
Exo Terra Rock Terrarium Background
This background is very easy to cut and install background that offers a natural finish to your rainforest habitat design. The background provides a multi-dimensional design. The background has deep ridges at the back, which is a great place to hide any wiring. Made from black nontoxic polystyrene, the background also offers added insulation to assist in maintaining humidity levels.
Exo Terra Water Dish
This water dish is a natural-looking dish that will easily integrate into your terrarium design. The dish is made of non-porous material that reduces the risk of bacteria while making it quick and easy to clean. The steps inside the dish reduce the risk of accidental drowning while providing safe for your reptile being made from food grade resin. The dish is stable and is not knocked over easily.
Exo Terra Plantation Soil / Brick Tropical Terrarium Substrate
This soil is made using compressed coconut husk fibers from tropical Asia. It is a natural and environmentally friendly substrate to add to your Exo Terra Rainforest Habitat. The substrate is best suited for frogs and digging animals. It is one hundred percent natural, helps increase humidity levels, and can stimulate digging in burrowing reptiles. Plantation soil isn’t always considered the best substrate, there are many great options on the market which are safer and will reduce the risk of impaction.
Jungle Plant Croton
A plastic hanging rainforest plant that is realistic in design, while being easy to clean and maintain. The plant can be used with other plastic plants or real plants to create a natural hiding place for your pet.
Jungle Plant Amapallo
This hanging rainforest plant is made from durable high-grade plastic for use in your Exo Terra Rainforest Habitat. The plant is very easy to clean and can be used to create natural hiding places for your reptile or amphibian.
Jungle Vine Small / Jungle Vine Medium
The Exo Terra Jungle Vine is a decorative plastic plant suitable for your rainforest habitat. It is bendable, waterproof, and natural in look and feels. It can help you create a 3D habitat with ease.
Jungle Fern Small / Jungle Fern Large
This is a realistic replica of a jungle fern which is easy to clean and can create a natural habitat for your reptile or amphibian pet.
A quick and easy read on how to set up your habitat and care for your new pet with confidence.
What Will You Still Need to Buy?
Reptile all have different lighting requirements, depending on their natural habitat. There are a number of lighting solutions you can choose from to complete your Exo Terra Rainforest Habitat. Repti Glo bulbs are self-ballasted fluorescent bulbs from Exo Terra that fits into a regular lighting fitting. The bulb can be used vertically or horizontally
Repti Glo 2.0 Compact
This full spectrum lamp offers high visual light output and a high color rendering index. It offers lower UVB radiation, making it suitable for snakes, toads, frogs, nocturnal animals, and salamanders.
Repti Glo 5.0 Compact
This is a tropical lamp offering high UVB output and offers excellent penetration up to twelve inches. This light can provide essential UVB to reduce the risk of metabolic bone disease. It helps to stimulate appetite and activity.
Repti Glo 10.0 Compact
This desert terrarium lamp offers ultra-high UVB output and is effective up to twenty inches. This is a good light source if you have a dense screen that doesn’t allow optimum UVB penetration.
Exo Terra daytime heat lamp is a broad-spectrum daylight lamp that provides the necessary heat gradient for your pet to thermoregulate.
Exo Terra Rainforest Habitat Kit Installation
The Exo Terra rainforest habitat starter kit can be set up in five steps:
- Place the terrarium in the chosen location and remove the screen top. This is done by unlocking the four clips. Install any electrical components.
- Place the background firmly in position by pressing it against the back glass. Prepare the substrate as per the instructions, by placing it in three liters of water and allowing it to soak for thirty minutes. Ensure it is free of lumps and then cover the floor evenly.
- Add your decorations. Fill the terrarium, placing them in their final position. If you are using a hide, ensure the hide is facing the front of the enclosure, so you can keep an eye on your new pet. The Jungle fern will work best in the back with hanging plants arranged throughout the space using the suction cups. The water dish should be placed at the front of the enclosure in an easy-access position.
- Prepare your lighting and reinstall your screen top. Lock the four clips. Install your lighting in your canopy. The canopy can be placed on the top of the terrarium screen. You can now turn on your lighting and heating.
- Choose where to place your hygrometer and thermometer to ensure you can monitor humidity and temperature with ease.
Is the Exo Terra Rainforest Habitat Kit Good Value?
Buying the all in one kit is definitely beneficial, especially for beginner reptile keepers or those looking for an urgent quarantine/hospital tank. Due to the fact the Exo Terra rainforest terrarium kit comes with almost everything you need; you will find you save money. It will work out cheaper and it will save you valuable time and energy when it comes to getting your enclosure ready.
The downside is that there are still some things you will need to purchase before introducing your new pet. This will be the lighting. Lighting has not been included in the kit as each species has its own requirements. If you wish to include any hides or further decorations, such as climbing logs and branches, these will have to be purchased separately.
Who Should Buy?
Who is this Exo Terra rainforest habitat starter kit best suited for? It is the ideal choice for the new hobbyist. But it can also be useful for breeders and those looking for an urgent hospital/quarantine tank.
The small habitat is suitable for:
- Green anole (Anolis carolinensis)
- Brown anole (Anolis sagrei)
- Bearded leaf chameleon (Rhampholeon brevicaudatus)
- Sawtail lizard (Holaspis guentheri)
- Long-tailed grass lizard (Takydromus sexlineatus)
- Gold dust day gecko (Phelsuma laticauda)
- Common house gecko (Hemidactylus frenatus)
- Dwarf yellow-headed gecko (Lygodactylus luteopicturatus)
- Bronze grass skink (Mabuya macularia)
- Rosebelly lizard (Sceloporus variabilis)
- Brown leaf chameleon (Brookesia superciliaris)
- American green tree frog (Hyla cinerea)
The medium habitat is best suited for:
- Day gecko (Phelsuma madagascariensis)
- Crested gecko (Rhacodactylus ciliatus)
- Australian green tree frog (Litoria caerulea)
- Red-eyed tree frog (Agalychnis callidryas)
- Common flying gecko (Ptychozoon kuhlii)
- Frilled leaf-tail gecko (Uroplatus henkeli)
- Golden gecko (Gekko ulikovskii)
- Lined gecko (Gecko vittatus)
- Helmeted chameleon (Chamaeleo hohnelli)
- Rudis chameleon (Chamaeleo rudis)
- Rough green snake (Opheodrys aestivus)
- Many-striped Skink (Mabuya multifasciata)
- African five-lined skink (Mabuya quinquetaeniata)
The Exo Terra rainforest habitat starter kit is an excellent investment for beginner and experienced herpetologists. Overall, the kit offers everything you need, except for lighting and maybe a hide, which can easily be purchased separately. A great kit that will help you create the natural habitat your pet needs to thrive.
The kit comes with just about everything a new hobbyist needs, this reduces the risk of forgetting important items you will need to bring your pet home.
An easy to assemble enclosure with an instruction manual as an added convenience.
Buying your habitat as a kit can save you money. This kit offers excellent value for money.