The Pet Enthusiast
Spread The Love

Are Anole Lizards Poisonous

    There are 8 species of anole lizards in North America. Maybe you've rescued one that was injured in your back yard or your dog or cat came home with one as a gift for you. If you are worried if the anole lizards in the US are poisonous, then continue reading for detailed information on these lizards and how they can impact you and your pets without taking careful precautions when handling them.

    Are Anole Lizards Poisonous To Humans, Dogs, Or Cats?

    Poisonous lizards release dangerous toxins once eaten. The good news is that the anole lizard is not poisonous to humans, but they do carry a host of diseases, which means you want to take careful preventative measures after handling. Even when your pet decides to eat an anole lizard, there is no poison released.

    These lizards are not poisonous to humans, dogs, or cats.

    Are Anole Lizards Venomous?

    Venomous means that the lizard would bite or sting you or your pet in order to release toxins. The anole lizard is not venomous.

    Don't be fooled by their small size, they will try and bite if cornered. Anole’s bites are not painful and the teeth very rarely break the skin.

    These lizards are not venomous.

    Do Anole Lizards Carry Diseases?

    Anoles do tend to carry disease, which can be easily avoided with proper hygiene in humans. They carry salmonella bacteria, which is one of the most common reptile to human diseases.

    When it comes to pets, the anole can be easy for a dog or cat to catch and possibly even eat. While they are not poisonous, they do carry diseases, including liver fluke in cats. This is a parasitic liver fluke that some lizards have and is most common in the southern US and Hawaii. While it doesn't harm the lizard, it can be harmful to your cat, impacting its liver, gall bladder, and bile ducts. It can take 12 weeks to mature and cause problems, which can include liver inflammation, which can be fatal. Symptoms include diarrhea, lethargy, vomiting, weight loss, yellow eyes and skin, and loss of appetite.

    Then there is the risk of salmonella for your dog or cat, whether they have bitten or eaten the anole. Some lizards can harbor salmonella bacteria, which can make your pet sick. It causes inflection in dogs and cats, no matter how healthy they are. Lethargy, vomiting, and bloody diarrhea are the symptoms to watch for.

    Safety Precautions

    Humans

    • Wash hands thoroughly after handling an anole lizard.
    • Do not touch your eyes, mouth, or face until you have washed your hands with soap and warm water.

    Pets

    • Consider keeping cats indoors, preventing the cat from targeting anoles, which are easy targets.
    • Secure your porch or patio with protective mesh to keep anoles out and keep pets in.
    • Train dogs the term “leave.” Should your dog pounce on any lizard on an outing, you can get it to drop it quickly rather than eating it.
    • If you own a pet lizard, keep it well out of reach or dogs or cats in the home.

    What Lizards are Poisonous?

    Only the Mexican beaded lizard and the Gila monster are poisonous/venomous lizards which can be found in North America. They tend to reside in the southwestern United States and Northern Mexico. Neither of these poisonous/venomous lizards are part of the anole species.

    Should you or someone you know be bitten by a Gila monster or Mexican beaded lizard you will experience numerous symptoms including bleeding, burning and throbbing pain, swelling, teeth in the wound, weakness, nausea, and much more.

    Conclusion

    Anole lizards make great pets and are popular in homes throughout the United States. The good news is that they are not poisonous or venomous and with the right hygiene, the risk of catching a disease is limited. If your pet has eaten or bitten an anole, watch for symptoms of salmonella and flukes of cats.

    Leave a Comment: